Baby oil is an essential beauty product that we use on a daily basis. Oftentimes, as oil requires very little in quantity, we forget the expiration issue. But in order to maintain the sound health of your kid, remembering the expiration is important. We have brought this article with all information about baby oil expire.
Does baby oil expire? In short, most baby oils stay well for up to three years. After three years, it eventually loses the fragrance and breaks down all the materials. Using baby oil after expiration can cause irritations to your child’s skin. But using baby oil for other purposes after expiration is not that harmful. But there is more to this! Let’s dive into it!
Baby oils are well-refined mineral oils. Along with using it for babies, we use baby oils for a lot of different purposes too.
But no matter why you use it, knowing the expiration date is always important. After a certain period of time, the baby oil’s substance will break down automatically.
Also, all the usefulness of the baby oil will be ruined. Usually, the breakdown of the substances starts for three years. But each brand has different expiry dates. So, it’s better if you check the bottle of oil for the expiration date.
Where to check baby oil's expiration?
As we mentioned above, most of the baby oils usually stay good for three years. But there can be variations. In order to know the expiry date of your baby oil, you have to check the bottle properly.
Most of the time, the expiration date is embossed in the bottle. Otherwise, the expiry date may be on the packaging too.
Most of the baby oil bottle’s expiration date stays either on the side of the bottle or on the bottom of the tube. If you still can’t find the expiration date, we would suggest you smell the oil. If it smells different than usual, you can be sure that the oil has expired.
Also, you can pour the oil in your hand, and if you see inconsistency in the material, you can be sure that the oil has expired.
How to know that my baby oil has expired?
There are few ways to know if the baby oil has expired or not. Now let’s know about the ways:
- Checking the expiration date: the first and foremost thing to do is to check the expiration day in the bottle of the oil. If you can’t find the date, you can check the next step. But you can check the date in the above-mentioned ways. Sometimes, the bottle or packaging becomes unable to read. In that case, it’s better to check other points.
- The smell of the oil: an expired oil smells different than the regular one. So if you assume that your baby oil has expired, it’s better if you check the smell. The smell of expired baby oil is very low. Eventually, it will lose all its fragrance. You may smell a little sour smell from the oil. Apart from that, if you smell that the fragrance is faded, you can assume the oil to be expired.
- Consistency: when baby oil expires, the consistency of the oil ruins. So if you pour the oil on your palm, you will see less consistency of the oil. Thus you can tell that it has expired.
- Thickness: the thickness of the baby oil also breaks down after the expiration date. So if you feel that the oil feels less thick, it’s a sign of expiration. Expired baby oils feel less thick and lose all consistency.
- Color: if you can notice any discoloration on the baby oils material, you can assume that it has expired. Every baby oil comes with either a transparent color or a yellowish color. If the yellow color fades and turns into transparency, you should know that the oil has expired. Otherwise, in the case of transparent oil, you have to check other signs.
- Texture: the texture of an expired oil is different than the usual oil. If you have been using oils for a long time, you will easily understand the difference. Otherwise, the oil may seem quite rough textured to you. It is a sign of the expiration of baby oils.
Here is the best baby oil list. Check it out!
What can happen if I use expired baby oils?
Oftentimes we realize that the oil has expired after using it. But what can happen if you use expired baby oil?
Expired baby oils can create irritation to your baby’s skin. It can create rashes and allergic reactions too. As babies are too sensitive, it’s better to always check the expiration date of the oil before using it. Also, using expired baby oil can cause skin redness and rashes to appear too.
But if you use expired baby oils for other purposes other than for babies, it won’t be that harmful. So, don’t use expired baby oil for your baby. You can use expired baby oils for other purposes that we are going to describe now.
How to use expired baby oils?
Have you ever thought of using expired baby oils? Most of the time, we don’t want to throw away the existing baby oil even after it is expired.
Don’t worry; there are a lot of ways that you can manage to make use of your expired baby oil. Now it’s time to know about those!
- Use as a lubricant: sometimes, you may feel problems in opening up an old lock or knob. In this case, you need to put some oil in there. Why would you use good and expensive oil to do that? That’s why you can use baby oil as a lubricant to open up those locks. Also, baby oil helps in old stuck zips to unlock too.
- Conditioner of leather materials: leather materials lose their glossiness overtime. In order to make those look new and expensive, you have to polish those. Expired baby oil can give a new shine to your old leathers.
- Polish on stainless steel utensils: along with leather, you can use baby oil for polishing your stainless steel utensils too. Your scratchy and old utensils will have a new look when you polish using baby oils.
- Bath oil: most people use baby oils as a bath oil; if you are one of them, you can also use expired baby oil as a bath oil. But make sure not to use it for babies. As babies are very sensitive, expired baby oil can cause irritation to them.
- Moisturizer: expired baby oil can be used as a moisturizer too. But don’t use it for your child. You can use expired baby oil for moisturizing your body.
- Removing ear wax: ear wax becomes easier to clean with baby oils. So, don’t throw away your old baby oil. You can use expired baby oil for cleaning ear wax effortlessly.
- Make-up remover: oils are great for removing any make-up. Especially baby oils are not harsh to the skin. So, you can use your baby oil for removing your eye-makeup or face make-up instead of throwing it away.
- Soften cracked heels: during winter, many of us feel the annoyance of cracked heels. But baby oil can get you rid of that problem. Using expired baby oil for your cracked heel is very inexpensive and beneficial at a time.
- Aftershave: after shaving, many men use oils for getting smooth skin. In this case, you can use expired baby oil as your aftershave oil.
- Hair oil: expired baby oil can be used as hair oil for you too. So when you are in need of getting rid of your dry scalp, just put that baby oil on your scalp. It won’t harm your scalp or hair because it’s not harsh.
We hope this article on the answer to “does baby oil expire” has been helpful to you. We have tried to explain every related thing for your ease, read everything, and then check your baby oil if it has expired or not.
If you don’t want to use baby oil, then you can switch to some alternatives too. Take your time and choose what’s best for you. Good luck!